Thursday, July 7, 2011

Downhill at Dawn . . . really? Dawn? That's early!

Just thought I'd share some pics from my second 1/2 marathon (and so far favorite). The race started at dawn . . . do you realize when that is? 6am! I am not morning person so this was a huge feat in itself!


Here is a before picture. As you can see, it's DARK outside. I should be in the bed for at least another hour, maybe two!


I think I officially woke up around mile 3. Since the race was downhill, mostly, it was a really nice run. There was an uphill patch at the beginning and then again at the end. You run from Ridgecrest down to Old Fort in the mountains of North Carolina. It's a great place to get a personal record.


I think you can see from this picture that it's slightly downhill. There are tons of beautiful trees, a little stream, and the sunlight peaking out of the trees is very inspiring. The only part I would warn you about is at the bottom of this hill: there is a house as you turn off from the gravel onto the paved road. There is a DOG there and they do no have leash laws like I am used too! As I rounded the turn, I saw him. He looked like a bulldog with longer legs or something . . . I had to run past him cause I wasn't about to run back up the hill! This was around mile 8 or so! I'm all alone and this dog starts nipping at my heels . . . so I tell it to go home and it doesn't listen. Why not? I was being nice! Luckily, two girls come running behind me and they distracted him long enough for me to get away. Once I got to the other side of the house, I saw a nice "Beware of dog" sign - um, might want to get one for each side of your house people!


Kind of hard to run and take pics at the same time. Need to work on that.


I finished! They gave us a towel and a medal which is really cool. I had a few minutes to catch my breath then we were off to Josh's 12 hour race a few miles away. Quite a day!

I loved this race. My legs hurt for a few days after due to the downhill running. Highly recommend it if you want to run a half marathon (13.1 miles). It's cooler cause it's in the mountains, so keep that in mind!

I ran this race for a McDonald's Rolo McFlurry. It was really tasty. I might have to take a break from Feeney's and make this my next run!

1 comment:

  1. Love reading about your running adventures and I wanted to thank you for the scripture... just what I need to hear today!! :)

    ReplyDelete